Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Springtime Skirts!

I have been wanting to learn how to make skirts for quite awhile.  In fact, I have pinned so many tutorials for adults and children on my Pinterest board, hoping that one day I would be brave enough to try.  Well, I finally got the push I needed.  I begged a friend to show me how to make the easiest skirt she can find.  I even brought my own sewing machine to her house to have my lesson.  Well, the time certainly was not wasted.  I learned some tips and I came home and gave it a try.  The first skirt I ever made actually didn't fit.  But that didn't deter me.  I tried it again.  This time I threw away the pattern and just tried to make something that would fit through my hips and sit at my waist.  It worked.  But it needed lining, as the material was a bit see-through.  So next I decided to get into my stash of SU fabrics that were on clearance awhile ago.  I know, my friend is cringing now, as she told me not to use 100% cotton.  Since I'm just a novice at this, this was a price point I can live with, if it didn't work out.  I pre-washed the fabric.  Trimmed off all the loose threads.  Ironed.  Cut the fat quarters in half, lengthwise.  And I went to the sewing machine.

For the first skirt above, I just put together the long pieces, sewed them into a tube.
For the bottom skirt here, I used the left overs and laid them horizontally.
Although I didn't exactly follow any tutorials, if you need one, HERE's a pretty good simple one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...