Sunday, August 15, 2010

Converting from Wood to Cling-Mount.

I'm super excited today. I have loved Stampin' Up's clear/cling-mount stamps from first sight. However, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have clear-mount options for a lot of their existing stamp sets in the new catalog. Then I started reading about how people convert their wood-mount stamps into cling-mount. I finally found an option that I kind of liked here. However, I wasn't able to find the clear vinyl that she used at local Joann's. Then, ingenuity hit me like a ton of bricks! I would save the left over vinyl that came with my new Stampin' Up clear-mount sets. I had ordered Thoughts and Prayers set because I couldn't find any good sympathy sets anywhere. But sadly, these came wood-mount only. Not only that, they're double-mounted. Ugh. Super-hate that. So, I decided to not mount them on the wood blocks that they came with. Instead, I would try to convert them into cling-mount, using the left over vinyl like I mentioned.

Taking the advice from Susan of www.stampsomefun.com, I first carefully stamped on tissue paper. Without removing the stamp, I traced the shape of the stamp onto the tissue paper. I cut inside the line to get the index image. Since the rubber is unmounted, I just removed the paper backing from the adhesive on the rubber and put the index image on it. Then I would cut the vinyl from Stampin' Up, covering the whole stamp, trim away excess. Big plus using Stampin' Up vinyl is that it comes with adhesive in the back, eliminating need for tombow. The biggest a-ha was that I could have multiple small pieces of vinyl, overlapping each other, and it's okay. And not all of the area needs to have the vinyl. A couple of tiny areas left uncovered is okay. It will still work like a charm.

ETA: Bought Aleene's Tack It Over and Over.  SOOOO easy.   Just brush on a thin film.  Wait for it to dry (doesn't take long).  Stick it to the back of hand or jeans/pants to remove the extra tackiness.  All done.  Ready to use.

2 comments:

Humble Beginnings said...

what did you do with all your leftover blocks?? i have recently converted all of mine but i want to find something neat to do with the blocks leftover

Annie Lee said...

My baby gets my never-used blocks to play with. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the used ones. I'll probably just toss them. They have a little bit of goo on them anyways.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...