Friday, October 28, 2011

Coffee Sleeve

One night while catching up on card making blogs, I came across Heather Summers' blogpost on coffee cozies.  They looked so cute and she was selling them for $.  I figured I could probably do something like that.  I mean, my fabulous upline, Barb, had sent me a whole ring of SU fabrics in 3x3 scallop square cut outs.  So I decided to google it and see if I can find the directions somewhere.  I came across several, and the one that I liked the best that night was THIS VIDEO (start watching at 2:56).  Now, I DO NOT sew.  I don't own a sewing machine.  I do have a simple needle and thread kit.  Well, general idea of how this thing is put together looked easy enough.  Some people recommend using felt and batting.  Some used some sort of lining thing.  Anyways, I had none of it.  What I decided I had was old socks!  So I cut up one sock, and decided that was good enough.  And I started hand stitching.  2 1/2 hours later(!), I had this coffee cozy/sleeve.
This was not pretty, workmanship-wise, by any means.  BUT, I love it!  I think it's so darn cute!  The sock makes the sleeve feel so nice and soft, since it's now "padded."  And the warmth of the drink transfer to the fabric to my hand, making these cold mornings a bit more bearable.  It also kind of makes me want to learn how to sew on a sewing machine!  Ack, is that true?  Did I just say that out loud?

Anyways, I hope you'll give it a try!  If you sew at all, I'm sure yours will be so much prettier than mine. And let me know when you do, 'cause I wanna see it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...